RSS
Thoughts and words of a dreamer, and an aspiring online writer.

My thoughts on- Story/Fiction Writing

During my late grade-school and high-school years, our school trained us on creative writing. I never knew I would miss it this much as I do today. It should have been a habit I carried on. Nevertheless, I can still try and as of now convey my thoughts on story/fiction writing.

I believe it starts with a one-line gist:
- a young lady tourist bumps her head in a foreign land and gets amnesia, then falls in love with a resident who helps her find her identity.
- a murderer’s adventure to be one step ahead from authorities then what careless move puts him behind bars.
- an ill-stricken patient’s journey from knowing his terminal diagnosis to serving as an inspiration for a well lived life.
Anything ordinary and normal twisted and turned, disturbed and destroyed, then fixed and developed producing growth, lessons, and finally a positive outcome.

For the writer there is a movie, a scene, a picture in his mind and the first set of sequence of events gets formed. He begins with the exposition of the story.
- the lady browses the travel brochure and pack, and the resident commutes to work as his daily routine.
- the victim hurts the killer’s ego, or resembles someone from his disturbed past, the killer studies the move of authorities by being a cop himself or by helping another victim.
- the patient lives a life as if tomorrow will always be there; becomes frugal and saves, did nothing but work, hardly communicated with anyone.

So the early half of the story easily transforms from the writer’s imagination to words on a document. Then it evolves and grow from there. With the continuous flow of creativity, the writer follows a backbone and study for the story to form.

Currently, there is no movie in my mind even if I squeeze my brain to come up with any. Hehehe! But do I have ideal imaginations? Yes, a lot! Is it something that people would like to read? Maybe, I doubt though (forgive my pessimism). But as of now that’s how I understand how stories and fiction novels are written.

0 comments: