RSS
Thoughts and words of a dreamer, and an aspiring online writer.

A loner's culture

Inspired by the article of Saritha Prabhu.

I am a solitary being from a social country.

In my Asian land (Philippines), especially if you stay in the metropolis, majority of the people you know have close family and friends. You see them around malls, movie-houses, commercial eating spots, and most of all- night life hang-out areas. Cafes like Starbucks becomes a pal hub, filled with caffeine chat-mates sharing stories.

The consequences of my size and history made me adapt to the life of being alone. From fate, it became a choice. Then eventually I discovered the joys of just being by myself. Examples like watching a favorite movie on a couch, or dipping on a tub, marathoning a series, reading in a quiet space, etc… There will always be a part of me who will enjoy these kinds of freedom.

Though too much of something is also not healthy. I admit I also get lonely. That is how I realized how true the saying is that “man is a social being” and “no one is an island.” From time to time I also would like to talk to people and know what is happening. Thus, a balance is needed.

Saritha’s article focused on the pros and cons of culture, and I completely understand what she meant. It would be hard for a born and raised American citizen to see how different it is for us foreigners in their land. But knowing how one culture varies from another keeps us grounded. We do not forget our roots, it is part of who we are, and we value them.

For me, the individualist culture of America is a positive blend with my solitary nature and social yearnings. Then with their social structure, I also remain collective, strongly bonded to my family. Through this way, there is balance.

0 comments: