RSS
Thoughts and words of a dreamer, and an aspiring online writer.

My country's mother


Image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenjantacanay_002/3776694119/sizes/m/
Image upload: http://www.petaimg.com/u114/726c2.jpg

During the past days of my writing absence I have been glued to the tv and been surfing the internet related to the passing of Philippine former President Corazon Aquino. The floating soul collector had been quite abundant with famous people since late last year and early this year. Mainland USA’s top listed Michael Jackson and Philippines’ own Francis Magalona are among them. Countless articles, blog entries and videos roam the internet paying tribute to their memory. I was never swayed to flow with their currents and join the mourning majority until now. It’s not that I think less of the previous departed ones, but perhaps my words to praise and regard them had already been said. This reminiscing entry is different because I rarely write about local issues of my land. As much as possible I discuss on issues where most can relate.

But why Cory? Her matriarchal legacy. Her as a mom not only to her children but to a nation. I was moved and touched and just found myself drawn to know more about her last moments. Then tears naturally flowed off my eyes when times in her rites became emotional. It’s an mysterious caress to the heart.

These are the bitter realities- Cory and I are not even acquaintances so the mourning is clearly one way. As the president, she was not the Philippines’ best. She did admit she lacked knowledge and experience, she was put in the position solely for her husband’s name.

However, Corazon Aquino was truly the icon of democracy. A vigilant voice in Philippine politics, and always found in religious catholic practices. Why is Cory different? She doesn’t ask you for anything for her own benefit. She does not ask for you to vote for her, she does not ask you for money. Her lifestyle does not involve anything corrupt, and was never in secrecy. Everytime she is sought and found, it is always in a place of worship or in a place to reach out to the needy. She was someone who strongly objected to the wrong, and showed you what is right. Again, she never asked you anything for herself, it was always for the others. She was selfless.

Thank you Cory for everything.


Image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edaltares/3793305355/sizes/m/
Image upload: http://www.petaimg.com/u380/534c1.jpg

0 comments: